Saturday, April 15, 2017

Living on the outside - one year on the road

After one year on the road...

1. My tolerance for being dirty is much higher. I've gone weeks, up to a month, without a shower. We sponge bath the essentials when we can't do a full cleaning.

2. Toilet paper is no longer paper, it's leaves, sticks and rocks (preferably smooth ones). When the weather is right, snow leaves a nice clean and cool feeling. None of these work well for peeing, pee rags (ie bandanas) are the closest to toilet paper without killing trees.

3. Favorite channels to watch: Sunset and Campfire

4. It's better to smell like a campfire than BO. Most people don't mind the smell of a fire as much as a smelly person.

5. Peoples expectation don't fit my reality. Several people have assumed we are independently wealthy to live this way. One girl thought we cooked inside our truck.. because it's our home.

6. Common comforts are luxurious. For instance, running water, central air, refrigeration, toilets.

7. People sometimes suck, even in the woods. We have cleaned campsites full of trash from previous use. One site there was a tree destroyed by being target practice. Then there is the hundreds of live trees that have been cut down to be used for firewood.

8. I love Matthew more as time goes on.

9. The only hard part about this life is missing my family and friends. I missed the birth of two of my best friends baby girls. My niece turned 7 years old and I wasn't there. And the hugs, there is a serious hug deficit for my family and friends.

10. It is possible to be ridiculously happy with very little. Experience > Things

I had a hard time trying to figure out what to say for this post. 3 previous attempts to write what it's like to live on the outside became a little preachy. I figured no one wants to read that. I hope this one was amusing if nothing else. Perhaps what life is like now will come through in my posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment