Saturday, January 14, 2017

My minimalist wardrobe

I was recently asked about my wardrobe from a friend looking to pack conservatively for a 6 month move. I have some free time on my hands and thought it would be fun to share what my attire consists of now.  I am going through a 'wool' phase. I adore merino wool, particularly the expensive stuff that is more durable that I get from Icebreaker, Ibex and smartwool. The benefits of merino wool are the lack of itch, they are naturally antimicrobial (less stink), and they are good temperature regulators. I know most think wool = hot, but I have a lightweight wool shirt and tank top that work well in the heat. Other benefits include quick drying and it's all natural!  I now have wool underwear and bra. I even own wool Toms so I can be head to toe in wool on the right day lol.

From top left going clockwise: Tank/shirt tops, sweaters, fleece sweater, down coat, down pants, rain coat and pants, long sleeve tops, bottoms (pants and skirt).  This is everything I have access to right now, not including my socks and knickers 😛

My clothing list:
1) Underwear - 5    Although, I go commando often.  This includes the one wool pair, 2 cotton and two synthetic.  I wear the wool most often.

2) Bra - 6    Includes 1 wool sports bra, 3 synthetic sports bras and 2 Victoria secret bras I rarely wear.  I have noticed that I really only wear two of my bras, the wool and one synthetic lightweight sports bra.. again opting on some days to not wear any at all.. mainly when we are far from civilization.

3) Tops - 15    Wow, more than I thought!  5 tank tops only one is wool, 2 t-shirts both lightweight wool, 5 long sleeve shirts (2 wool, 2 cotton and one synthetic), 2 sweaters (1 cotton, 1 wool), 1 'fashion' sweater ie for dressing up nicely with the dress or over other tops to look more civilized should the mood strike me.

4) bottoms - 8    Includes 2 wool tights, synthetic lightweight pants, 5.11 cargo pants, jeans and 2 shorts (1 synthetic, 1 wool), 1 skirt (synthetic)

5) Socks - 8    Way more than I need!  Mainly wool in various weights

6) Dress - 1    I have one for dressing up, but it has come in handy while bathing near a river close to a road.

7) Outerwear - 5    Includes a down coat, down pants, a rain coat and waterproof pants, fleece hoodie

8) Scarves - 2    I have 1 purple synthetic and.. you guessed it 1 wool

Total=50 items

What helps this work for me is that the color of everything I own coordinates together. I can mix and match almost everything, I have one top that doesn't go with one bottom.  Most of my clothes are black, grey or a shade of blue. I have one purple tank, one gold (for fun that I rarely wear), and one t-shirt that is a deep blue/green shade... according to ibex it is 'tidal pool heather' whatever that means. This allows me to have diverse options for outfits... truth be told I often end up in the same things, just as I always have. I end up wearing my favorite items the most, which is why I know of a few things I can just get rid of.

To be clear this is everything for all seasons... so that does account for why I have 14 tops.  Half of them I am not wearing now.  In fact the photo doesn't include a few items ie shorts which I am not using so they are put away in a storage bag in the truck.  I mainly wear some combination of the wool items, as I am now in a wool t-shirt, wool tights and wool socks.

Creating this list has made me realize I have more than I need. I could definitely trim it down even further.  Like the 6 bras!  Goodness.  What's really amusing to me is that I once owned about 15 bras.  Why on Earth did I ever think I needed 15 bras?!  I also once owned about 30 pairs of underwear.  You can really go a long time without doing laundry that way... more ecologically friendly right?  To make up for the daily showers?

As I grow more independent of the idea of needing things, I am becoming more aware of the impact THINGS have on the environment and my life.  I am thankful for the opportunity to live this simply.  To recognize how consumerism effected my way of life and that there is a different, more fulfilling way to live.  The less I have, the more I'm living.

No comments:

Post a Comment