Monday, January 2, 2017

Home for the Holidays

I arrived at the DC train station and was greeted by my father.  He happens to work just a few blocks away.  I took in the cathedral ceilings of Union Station, it's a beautiful building.  I was really happy to be home.  I missed my family and was looking forward to spending time with them.  They wanted to spoil me as much as possible because they don't get to see me often... not being around does have its perks, hehe.

Dinning out
 
My mom and I got our hair done together, sorry no photos.  It wasn't anything that exciting, it's been 7 months since my last hair cut.  I'm letting it grow long again so I just got a trim.  My mother on the other hand didn't get hers cut at all, the hairstylist just magically changed her hair to all black.  My mother has a few spots of gray on her temples.  I spoke with a cousin who said my aunt grows them in the same place.  With everyone coloring there hair it's hard to know what to expect.  I have zero intention to ever dye my hair.  It's interesting the responses this has gotten.  Some people think it's cool, and others just don't believe me.  They have told me I will change my mind.  I have a few gray hairs already and they are increasing.  Each one makes me happier, I'm excited to one day have all gray/white hair.  We live in a society that looks down on age.  I just saw a commercial that went something like "is your skin sagging?  do you have wrinkles? are you depressed? we can help! just waste money on this product and all your wildest dreams will come true!".  If my lifestyle is any indication, I am not a conformist.  So far, this has made my wildest dreams come true.  No money spent on things have ever brought me true happiness, only finite pleasure.  I have learned the infinite love that comes from within.  Coming back into society, after months in the woods... it's like I come from a different country, with different cultural values.  My hope is to one day find myself  in a world surrounded by people who value themselves and others based on who they are, rather how they look... or dress, religious affiliation, sexual orientation, etc.  That is my Earth Dream.  I would call it an American dream but I realize we are not so closed in anymore, and I don't wish it for just our country. 

Ok, jumping off my soap box, back to the usual.  My first weekend home my niece was with us.  She is one of my biggest joys in this world.  She is intelligent, funny and so full of love.  We always have fun together.  We played with bubbles, read books, went running together and, of course, had tea time. 

 
The one and only Tatiana


After about 5 days at home, everyone was back at work and I decided to make a trip to Charlottesville to visit friends.  Not having a car, I got a rental that was a delightful little Nissan Versa, it was similar to my old Honda Fit.  I forgot how zippy and fast these little cars are.  I got used to a manual truck fully loaded with our gear.  My happiness grew as I drove into Charlottesville with the landscape of mountains in the distance.  I spent time with all of my favorite people (except one family that was out of town).  I talked so much in the span of 3 days my throat was starting to hurt.  My heart was so full of love seeing my friends.  I got so many hugs, laughs and even a few tears.  I spent a little time downtown, slept on the grass at the pavilion (I was sleep deprived), went running with Marissa in the woods (a favorite pastime), and shared every meal with a friend.  It was hard to leave.  Spending those few days, catching up and driving around familiar streets, it felt like home.

The few photos I have..
 Cat's "I don't want my photo taken" face 

 Blue snuggled up with Sonic

Lovely, me and Amanda

The day after I returned to northern VA was Christmas Eve.  We went to Christmas Eve brunch at the Gilhousen's, the host every year.  Again, I was surrounded by friends, good food, laughs and lots of hugs.  On Christmas we went to my uncles house for Christmas dinner, I got to see most of the family that lives in the area.  I had a blast playing Catchphrase with them, I laughed so much it hurt.  My family had the next day off so I got one more full day with them before they returned to work.  The following day was the first time I was alone since I got to VA.  It was nice to have some quiet time to reflect on my visit, and to do some laundry.  My mother took the day off for my last day home.  We watched Hidden Figures, it was excellent!  I cried.  In the afternoon we picked up Tatiana, I was grateful for the chance to see her one more time.  We went out to dinner that evening.

Last night home

The next morning I was back on the train.  I changed my ticket from ND to Massachusetts.  As much as I loved being home, two weeks away from Matthew felt like long enough.  This train ride was pleasurable in that it was on time and stayed on time!  I took a few photos from this trip as well...





Now I'm back with the love of my life and the waiting game continues.  We are waiting for the truck to be fixed enough to be safe and running, then we'll take the train back to Fargo, bus it to Bismarck and hightail it South, for the rest of the winter.  In the meantime, I'm enjoying the warmth of being indoors and Judy's scrumptious home cooking. 


No comments:

Post a Comment