Thursday, August 18, 2016

I've seen fire and I've seen rain, seen sunny days that I thought would never end...

I can't believe it has been almost 3 weeks since I posted!  What's really terrible is my memory so my recollection of events will be spotty.  We spent about 1 week in Hampden, MA with Matthew's parents to pick up some things we ordered and got to see his brother who was visiting around the same time.  I have one photo from that week of the day Matthew and his dad wore the same shirt
Adorable.

From there we headed Northwest to the Adirondacks area.  We spent 2 weeks camping in the Moose River Plains.  We found a great site that was fairly private and near a spring.  It was very nice to have access to clean water we didn't have to worry about treating.  
Here's a shot of our camp set up.  The chairs are one of the exciting items we picked up in Massachusetts.  Previously we sat on the ground, on that orange bucket or on a box.  Our backs were hurting and as we are not getting any younger thought it would be good to get real seats.  These chairs are amazing!  If nothing else I sure am learning to appreciate the little things in life.  We got fishing license and thanks to Eric (Matthews dad) I now have a nice fishing pole to use.  We tried to fish a couple of times with no success.  We got a few nibbles but never any bites.  I also don't know that I have the patience for it, but willing to keep trying.  I ended up falling asleep during one of our fishing endeavors.  There was just this really nice warm rock I was sitting on and it was very inviting.  We didn't do any epic hikes, backpacking or rock climbing.  Mainly just didn't know about anywhere close by to do it.  We attempted to backpack one night near a pond, we started bushwhacking around the pond through moose heaven ie boggy wetness.  We finally aborted the trip when we had to go in chest deep mud to keep going.  It was still very fun and beneficial.  I learned where to step and how to maneuver in that environment to limit how wet my feet got.  That night I tested out my emergency bivy back at camp.  I have this emergency bivy and have no idea if/when I would ever use it.  Matthew challenged me by asking in what conditions I would use it and how well it would work.  I had no idea, so I tried sleeping on the ground, on a foam mat, inside a thin sleeping bag liner with the bivy on top of me.  I could get in the bivy it that ended up not being warm enough but was already warned that I may get sweaty since it is not breathable.  I slept surprisingly well.  It was very warm and even though it was not a particularly cold night I feel confident I could be comfortable in it on a cold night if needed.  

Last week was my birthday, it was such a great day!  Had to go into town the day before so we picked up a blueberry pie (I'm not a huge cake fan) from a pizza place, that we also got a delicious pizza from.  The blueberry pie was made in house and was still warm when we picked it up.  The pizza was filling so we didn't have the blueberry pie until the morning of my birthday.  Here was my birthday breakfast


We ended up doing 2 hikes that day, they were both short, about 2 miles each and at the end of the second hike was a beautiful dam created by a long rock (which is why the trail was called Rock Dam), and it created a pool that we swam in.  It was a beautiful sunny day and I had a blast.  I didn't get a good shot because I had to wade through the water but here's one from land...

Part of my birthday gift was a trip home to see my family (Thanks mom and dad!)  I got lucky and was able to attend Camp Gilly (a yearly gathering of friends), spent time with my niece and saw one of my best friends.  Only have two photos from that weekend, I know someone has a lot more..
 Morning after..
Great sign made by my friends daughter

Once I got back to NY we headed to a different area, we are now near Shelving rock.  We did a hike to Sleeping beauty summit, it was a loop that included two ponds.  One of them we were able to swim in and there was a canoe with one paddle that we took out on the water, it was super fun!!  Yesterday we were able to do some rock climbing, there is a really nice area close to where we are camped.  We will likely stay here for about a week.  I think next we will do some backpacking in the High Peaks wilderness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment