Saturday, July 2, 2016

I don't know when, but we'll get together then

We have spent that past 2 weeks in the White Mountains area.  The day after my last blog we went rock climbing at Artists Bluff.  It was all Trad climbing and no easy way to take photos.  I did take a few from the top.  We spent some time working on setting Nuts and Cams - these are what you use to set anchors to clip into as you climb when not using a top rope. We had a blast at this climbing site.  The only trouble was trying to hear each other.  We did this climb in one shot, it could be a 2 or 3 pitch climb.  By doing it in 1 pitch I could hardly hear him from the bottom when he finished.  So we were yelling trying to communicate and well... not too safe.  In the end we did just fine but for long climbs we will likely try doing multiple pitches.  The other issue was this climb was the face curved away over the top so I couldn't see him and it added to the difficulty in hearing each other.  Here are the photos I got...
 A look at the route from the bottom
Panoramic shot from the top 
 US!
 Practicing placements

Matthew playing with anchoring

Amazingly no new injuries to report!  Except getting impaled at the Wilderness First responder course.  So we spent 8 days at this course and it was super fun!  Being a nurse made the class way easier for me.  It was cool to learn what to do in trauma situations in the wilderness.  I feel more comfortable with the idea of being an ER nurse, should that opportunity every come up.  So each day we got to do scenarios to practice and the kept getting more complicated.  I got to play a patient in the most complex scenario and I played the part very well.  I was told I should be an actress in my next profession.  I was an impaled rock climber and I cried... I don't know how but I managed to cry and make it seem real, the girls working on me were freaking out!!  It was great because they also did a great job.  And the part you've all been waiting for... this may not be for the faint of heart...
Don't worry, it didn't hurt at all!  I was in shock lol
I loved the instructor, she was a very funny woman from this area but had lived in Australia for 10 years as a paramedic and now back in the US with her aussie husband and adorable little girls.  She made me laugh at least once an hour.  If I were staying in this area I would totally stalk her.  We graduated from that course on the 28th.
Unfortunately Matthew got sick towards the end of the class after a bad asthma attack. So we found a camp site and took it easy for a day.  He felt better yesterday so we did a 8.6 mile hike up North Twin mountain.  I got one photo from that.

Next few days we'll do some more climbing and hiking, then headed to his parents house a couple days and heading west after that.  

1 comment:

  1. Such envy I'm feeling...It is SOOO gorgeous up there! Glad you're having a good time and the Bean is better;)

    ReplyDelete